Here are some benefits you should consider:
- Teletherapy is live video with a licensed Speech, Occupational or Physical therapist. It is only a click away and is accessible not just on a lap top but a tablet or smart phone too!
- If you live in a rural area, save on time and gas driving to and from therapy sessions!
- Children are drawn to technology and computer games. Interactive games done in Teletherapy sessions can be engaging and motivating!
- Being at home or in one’s own element allows a patient to feel more comfortable.
- No cancelled sessions! A sick sibling, bad weather or time constraints are no longer an issue, pull out your tablet and be on time to a session!
- Sessions can be recorded to look back on for self-evaluation. Family members can be included in the patient’s therapy by watching recorded sessions at a later date.
- Research from Towey 2013, and Gorgan-Johnson 2011, states that speech Teletherapy students “outperformed control groups and national benchmarks in the areas of expressive and receptive language, social pragmatic, as well as articulation skills.”
Like any method of therapy, Teletherapy may not be a “one size fits all” plan for everyone. Talk to your therapist to see if it is the right fit for you or your child.